Lamb or Hogget Curry
Authentic Indian flavours at home…
Lamb or Hogget neck, front shanks or any pieces with bone at room temperature
1 tablespoon oil
1 diced medium to large onion
1 ½ teaspoon garlic paste
1 ½ teaspoon ginger paste
1 x 400 g tin diced tomato
3 tablespoons yoghurt
2 medium size potatoes peeled and cut into bigger pieces (you may add more if you like)
If you like it hot add 1 – 2 tablespoon of Vindaloo Curry mix
Salt to taste
Curry powder mixture:
1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder, ½ turmeric powder, 1 ½ teaspoon premixed curry or masala powder and to taste chili powder
- Mix all ingredients for curry powder mixture together and set aside.
- Depending on what lamb or hogget cuts you have available cut into mouth sized pieces. If you cut the meat off the bones, keep the bones.
- Heat oil and add onions followed by garlic and ginger paste – medium heat.
- When onions are browned add curry powder mixture, watch how the spices are activated in the heat of the oil – reduce heat to low heat.
- Soon after add bones and let cook for about 5 minutes with the pot covered, stirring every few minutes.
- Add meat pieces and vindaloo curry mix and cook for further 15 minutes with the lid on, stirring every few minutes.
- Add diced tomato and yoghurt and continue cooking with the lid on.
- After about 10 minutes add cut potatoes and salt and continue cooking with the lid on.
- Let cook on low heat with lid on for about 30 – 45 minutes or until meat is tender stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with basmati rice and some cold plain yoghurt if too chili. Garnish with fresh coriander.